Title: Chispa Nevada Senior Organizer
Reports to: Chispa Nevada Program Director
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) is a national environmental organization that works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV launched Chispa, a grassroots community organizing program, to ensure that Latino communities have a strong voice and the power to influence local, state and national decisions that impact their health and environment. Chispa has programs in Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, New Mexico and Nevada.
As part of our long-term commitment to engage new constituencies and to diversify the environmental movement, the League of Conservation Voters, primarily through grassroots community organizing programs, is fostering strong local and national Latino leadership in the fight against climate change.
We are seeking a Senior Community Organizer to join our Las Vegas-based Chispa Nevada team. The Senior Community Organizer will be an experienced community organizer who is tasked with engaging and building relationships with Latino families in Las Vegas to take action in the fight against pollution and climate change and to promote clean air, clean water and clean energy including our Clean Buses for Healthy Niños campaign. We are looking for a creative, ambitious, experienced community organizer who is goal-driven and experienced in building individual and collective power in low income and communities of color.
• Build, develop and train a base of dedicated Latino grassroots leadership in the community that will have a long-term leadership voice advocating for environmental justice, community health policies and values in the community.
• Identify potential new members and engage them by conducting one-on-one’s, presentations, and door-knocking and utilizing other community organizing methods.
• Support volunteer leaders in the development and sustaining of organizing committees who are involved in advancing campaign goals.
• Build relationships with schools, churches, community organizations, labor unions, public health groups, etc. to work in partnerships to advance shared goals.
• Track organizing work meticulously in VAN and other databases, submit daily reports to program director.
• Work closely with the organizing team and program director to implement and evaluate issue-organizing campaigns that successfully recruit constituents, build grassroots leaders and get the attention of decision makers and media.
• Minimum 4+ years in grassroots community, issue or labor organizing programs.
• Successful track record of grassroots community organizing, training volunteers, leadership development, implementing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups.
• Experience with VAN and Excel is highly preferred.
• Ability to effectively present campaigns and programs work to the community, elected officials and allies in English and Spanish.
• Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of Latino communities in Nevada.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
• Creative problem-solver who is resourceful during challenging or new situations.
• Position requires the ability to travel and to work some evenings and weekends.
• Preference will be given to those who have Nevada organizing and or campaigns experience or ties.
• Position requires a valid Nevada driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
The position will be based in Las Vegas, Nevada and is a full-time salaried position that includes a comprehensive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 24, 2018 with “Chispa Nevada Organizing” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. No calls please.
LCV is an equal opportunity employer committed to racial justice and equity in the workplace.