Title: Progressive Judiciary Program Director
Reports to: SVP, Government Affairs
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The LCV Education Fund advocates for strong environmental protections, organizes communities to speak up about their environmental values, and engages people in the democratic process in order to enact strong environmental laws.
Given the attempts by President Trump and the Republican-led Senate to reshape the courts and dismantle environmental and other protections, the stakes could not be higher for a potential Supreme Court vacancy or for the many lower court judicial vacancies across the country. It is more important than ever that we work with a broad coalition to call attention to the importance of the nominations process and prevent a hostile takeover of the courts by anti-environmental and otherwise regressive judges.
• Work closely with the SVP, Government Affairs to coordinate all aspects of LCV’s Judiciary Program.
• Educate decision-makers about the impact of the courts on the environment, public health, environmental justice, and voting rights and access to democracy, and on the need for a judiciary that reflects the racial and gender diversity of our country.
• Work closely with the Membership and Online Engagement department to engage LCV’s members.
• Work closely with the Communications Department to generate earned media coverage about judicial nominees.
• Research and produce written content on nominees and their impact on environmental progress and on democracy issues.
• Participate in federal and state judicial nominations coalitions.
• Partner with 2-4 state conservation voter leagues on this program.
• Lead the Government Affairs team efforts in coordination with our Community and Civic Engagement team on democracy and voting rights issues, including working against racially discriminatory voter identification laws.
• Participate in democracy and voting rights coalitions, and identify community of color-led organizations to partner with.
• Contribute to overall Government Affairs team and organizational priorities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work Experience: At least five years of work experience required. Experience working on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, or in an advocacy or political organization preferred. Law degree is also preferred.
• Skills: Written and oral communications skills, including making public presentations. Organized and attentive to details, research and critical thinking skills.
• Successful experience working with teams representing a rich mix of talent, backgrounds, and perspectives;
• Capabilities: A sense of teamwork and community, collaborative with an ability to work closely with a diverse set of allies, ability to handle multiple tasks, work with several people simultaneously and thrive in a fast paced setting. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of LCV. Able to work occasional overtime to get the job done.
• Cultural Competence: Shares LCVs commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Judiciary Program Director in the subject line no later than May 4, 2018. No phone calls please.
LCV is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.