Title: National Press Secretary
Reports To: SVP, Communications
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
We are seeking an experienced, strategic communications professional to serve as National Press Secretary. The National Press Secretary will position the LCV family of entities and our issues at the forefront of the political debate, major legislative initiatives and some of the most important elections in the country. This position will work with LCV’s campaigns, legislative and community organizing teams to develop a communications strategy and generate earned media for LCV and LCV Education Fund on priority issues and campaigns.
- Work with LCV’s Campaigns, Government Affairs, Membership and Community & Civic Engagement departments to develop a communications strategy and plans to generate earned media for LCV and our sister organization LCV Education Fund on priority issues and campaigns.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key political and policy reporters, editors and producers in DC and nationwide including expanding relationships with reporters and press outlets whose audience is predominantly people of color, women and young people.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson.
- Organize press events and speaking opportunities.
- Produce and distribute written materials, including press releases, op-eds, and memos.
- Ensure our language is consistent and culturally competent in referring to communities of color and indigenous people and other constituencies and groups.
- Seek out strategic opportunities to aggressively engage in rapid response.
- Actively apply a racial justice lens to all LCV communications.
- Coordinate communications activities with state LCVs and allies, including outside organizations, coalition partners and others.
- Additional communications-related responsibilities as assigned.
- Work Experience: 5 years experience in media relations/communications or journalism; campaign and/or government experience preferred. Demonstrated experience and success with pitching media. Demonstrated experience developing and executing communications plans. Experience with social media preferred.
- Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills; proven entrepreneurial abilities, creativity, and initiative; ability to work well in a fast-paced environment; ability to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work; understanding of environmental issues and their potential to engage the public preferred. Comfortable applying a racial justice lens to communications, including crafting of culturally competent language in referring to communities of color, and able to confidently speak to and elevate our work around racial justice and equity.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
- Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C. but qualified candidates outside of D.C. are welcome to apply.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “National Press Secretary” in the subject line by January 4, 2019. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.