Title: Clean Energy Campaign Manager
Reports To: State Policy Director
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
In 2018, LCV in partnership with its 30 state affiliates launched Clean Energy for All, LCV’s first coordinated campaign across our entire network. The campaign seeks to secure a 100% clean energy future that facilitates Americans taking back the power to choose clean energy solutions and build pollution-free communities. For too long, Americans have paid fossil fuel companies—from utilities to oil companies–to provide electricity and oil that pollutes and destroys our climate. Too many politicians have gone along with this scheme, refusing to stand up to monopoly utilities and fossil fuel companies at the expense of local communities, especially those made up predominately of people of color. With clean electric energy cheaper than fossil fuels in states across the country and increasing advancements to electric vehicles, the barriers to a clean energy future are no longer technical or economic; they’re political. LCV seeks to change political will and campaign for state and local policies that expand renewable energy and give Americans the ability to power their homes and transportation with clean energy.
We are looking for a Campaign Manager who will play a leadership role managing Clean Energy for All and harnessing our network of 30 state-based organizations to build power and effectively translate public demand for clean energy into compelling state and local campaigns for change. The campaign manager will help develop, implement and design advocacy campaigns that result in local policy victories and build momentum for clean energy progress. Candidates should know what it takes to design and win successful campaigns, translate policy details into compelling campaign demands and have experience working collaboratively with state-based coalitions and organizations.
- Harness the power of LCV’s national membership, field programs and state network to design state and local campaigns to win concrete clean energy commitments from Anchorage to Orlando
- Work collaboratively with state LCV partners and national allies to identify campaign priorities, shape and implement campaigns and share lessons across LCV’s network
- Amplify state and local campaign victories and identify opportunities to highlight local successes and tell stories that build momentum across state lines
- Develop tools to use across state campaigns including campaign tools, communication and messaging materials and model legislation/policies
- Ensure the campaign advances LCVs racial justice goals, including by helping strengthen advocacy campaigns engaging communities of color and racial justice organizations early in the campaign development process, and pursuing policies that address racial inequities.
- Facilitate work of all LCV departments to implement campaign goals including coordinating cross-department meetings and tracking campaign progress
- Other duties as assigned.
Work experience: 5+ years of experience in issue advocacy and organizing campaigns
- Ability to translate an idea into a campaign with policy demands, campaign targets and a theory of change and work collaboratively with local leaders to implement successful campaign plans.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, including ability to write and implement comprehensive campaign plans
- Experience with politics, coalitions and lobbying at the state level
- Experience working across departments or teams within an organization
- Commitment to measuring and tracking progress and outcomes.
- Must share organizational commitment to increasing racial diversity in out movement, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Ability to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Clean Energy Campaign Manager” in the subject line by May 30, 2018.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace