Title: Community Organizer
Reports To: Chispa Nevada Program Director
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
LCV’s Chispa Nevada is seeking a Community Organizer to join the Las Vegas-based Chispa Nevada team. The Community Organizer will be tasked with engaging and building leadership among communities of color and low income families in Las Vegas. The Community Organizer will encourage volunteers to take action in the fight against pollution and climate change and to promote clean air, clean water and clean energy, including our Clean Buses for Healthy Niños campaign. We are looking for a creative, ambitious, experienced community organizer who is goal-driven, passionate about social change and justice, and experienced in building individual and collective leadership and power.
In 2015, the League of Conservation Voters launched Chispa Nevada (“chispa” translates to “spark” in English) in Las Vegas. The program, like LCV’s Chispa counterparts in other states, relies on community organizing to build the voice and power of Latino families and other communities of color to influence the environmental policies and decisions that affect their lives. Over the last three years, Chispa Nevada has established itself as one of few environmental groups in the state with strong and growing grassroots community capacity. Our members have taken leadership in the fights to keep rooftop solar affordable and accessible, developed Latino and other people of color policy makers as champions on environmental issues, convinced Spanish-language media that the environment is a Latino issue, and built strong relationships with social justice and environmental groups alike. With the launch of the Clean Buses for Healthy Niños campaign, Chispa Nevada is building stronger coalitions with public health, medical professionals, parents and teachers groups and other allies to urge strong policies that make the switch from dirty diesel to clean, electric school buses.
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) and our sister organization, LCV Education Fund, are national environmental organizations with a strong commitment to racial justice and equity. With more than 30 state affiliates across the country, LCV and LCV Education Fund are committed to building a movement in which everyday people have the right and responsibility to be able to influence the policies and policy makers that affect our air, water, lands and the health of our communities and planet.
- Conduct new outreach to recruit volunteers through door-knocking, presentations, one-on-one’s and phone calls that results in a growing volunteer base.
- Identify and create opportunities for building the engagement and leadership of volunteers and support their growth and development.
- Support volunteer leaders to develop and implement work plans that result in them forming volunteer committees consisting of their friends, family, neighbors, co-workers.
- Work with the Chispa team to develop and lead trainings for volunteers that develop their skills, analysis and commitment.
- Track organizing progress meticulously in VAN and submit reports on volunteer recruitment and cultivation.
- Work closely with the Chispa Nevada team to develop, implement and evaluate issue-organizing campaigns that successfully recruit volunteers, build grassroots leaders and get the attention of decision makers and media.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with community organizations and leaders, particularly among communities of color.
Work experience: 1-3 years in grassroots community or labor organizing programs.
- Experience with VAN and Excel is highly preferred.
- Experience in programs that include volunteer outreach (canvassing, phone banking, house visits, etc.), training volunteers, monitoring goals, developing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of communities of color in Nevada.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Creative problem-solver who is resourceful during challenging or new situations.
Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel. Position requires a valid Nevada driver’s license and reliable transportation. This position is based in Las Vegas, NV.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Chispa NV Organizer” in the subject line by August 15, 2018. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Racially Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace