Title: Candidate Recruitment and Training Manager
Reports to: State Electoral Campaigns Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state, and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environmental candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. We aim to create a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion.
The 2018 elections were historic: more people of color, women, and openly LGBTQ people were elected to all levels of government than ever before. People of color are disproportionately impacted by environmental injustices, and thus racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting the planet. We need candidates who are viewed as leaders in their own communities and capable of harnessing and building upon the energy of social movements. These candidates ultimately inspire support from individuals, organizations, and communities who see their values and vision reflected in them.
LCV is hiring a Candidate Recruitment and Training Manager. This position will work with our state affiliates and community organizing programs to develop a program that recruits and trains candidates who will fight for a clean and healthy environment, climate justice, pollution-free communities, and an inclusive, accessible and participatory democracy. Through the recruitment process, the manager will help develop candidates who can most effectively energize and engage people who are typically underrepresented – people of color, indigenous peoples, and youth – to participate in elections.
- Work with state affiliates and LCV teams to develop candidate recruitment plans that actively engage with community leaders, partner organizations and our grassroot volunteer base, particularly among communities of color.
- Work with local and national partners to develop and execute multiple candidate trainings annually (3-5 per year).
- Provide ongoing support to state affiliates in training and recruitment efforts.
- Manage candidate recruitment and training grants to state affiliates.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: At least two cycles of political or campaign experience, preferably at the local or state level. Must have experience drafting political plans, including explicit and culturally competent engagement of people of color and young voters. A strong track record of networking and building long-lasting relationships. Must have experience working with coalition partners, including community-based organizations. Previous experience with training and/or leadership development programs preferred. Experience with candidate recruitment and/or candidate training is preferred.
- Skills: Must possess strong written and oral communications skills and be well-organized. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple assignments with tight deadlines. Highly motivated, curious and collaborative. Sound political judgement. Proven track record successfully working across lines of race, ethnicity, language, class, gender and other identities and experiences.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. A commitment to the complex understanding of racial justice and the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture.
- Conditions: Must be willing and able to travel. The location of this position is flexible.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Candidate Recruitment” in the subject line no later than January 7, 2019. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.