Title: Chispa Arizona Development Manager
Department: Community & Civic Engagement
Reports to: Chispa Arizona Executive Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Phoenix, AZ
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV launched Chispa, a grassroots community organizing program, to ensure that Latino communities have a strong voice and the power to influence local, state and national decisions that impact our health and environment. Chispa has programs in Arizona, Colorado, Maryland, and Nevada. As part of our long-term commitment to engage new constituencies and to diversify the environmental movement, the League of Conservation Voters, primarily through grassroots community organizing programs, is fostering strong local and national Latino leadership in the fight against climate change.
LCV is hiring a Development Manager to join our Chispa Arizona Phoenix-based team. The Development Manager will set strategy and drive Chispa Arizona’s fundraising efforts, cultivating a diversified portfolio to help build financial solvency as the program transitions to independence and sustainability. The Development Manager will work in a collaborative environment to create and implement a plan that includes an individual donor program, institutional giving, special events, membership & online giving, and other fundraising strategies. The Development Manager will lead the writing and managing of grants, stewardship, prospect research, and donor communications, with an eye towards creating opportunities for all community members to be part of the donor class and drivers of building local movement power. The ideal candidate is motivated by a just, accessible, and culturally competent environmental movement and by taking action in the fight against polluters and climate change, and for a cleaner future and a fair democracy for all. We are looking for an organized, innovative, ambitious leader and communicator who is goal-driven and self-motivated, with experience in fundraising and program management to join the Chispa Arizona team.
- Develop and implement a multi-year strategic, comprehensive development plan with measurable goals for overarching revenue growth and specific tactics, as well as roles for leadership, staff, and volunteers.
- Create calendars for annual giving, stewardship, grant management, special events, and integrated donor education and communications.
- Draft culturally competent donor stewardship materials that speak to our work, such as impact reports, issue updates, surveys, etc.
- Establish and execute a plan for leveraging existing organizational relationships and seeking out new supporters to identify prospects, engage potential donors, and track and steward supporters.
- Advance research on foundations, potential donors, and prospects.
- Oversee grants and foundation relations, track application information, lead on grant writing, and effectively steward partners and manage reporting.
- Personally manage a portfolio of donors and prospective donors.
- Cultivate development goals related to governance as the program builds 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) boards, and work to integrate and advance those goals in partnership with staff.
- Work closely with the Chispa AZ Organizing team to develop and implement a community membership program and online member and giving campaigns.
- Work closely with the Chispa AZ Communications Director to ensure that donors and funders are receiving integrated and appropriate messaging.
- Develop brand and issue specific campaigns to engage community and supporters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – At least 3-5 years of fundraising experience or program management leadership. Successful track record of developing and executing strong, well-rounded plans that set clear goals that connect to and incorporate multiple stakeholders. Experience managing relationships, ideally in a fundraising context. Must demonstrate cultural competence when messaging environmental priorities and movement issues. Preferred – Bilingual in English and Spanish. Donor relations experience. Demonstrated understanding of and connection to Arizona funding partners and landscape. Experience with grant writing.
- Skills: Required – Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent organizational and time management skills, and the ability to delegate, prioritize, and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment. Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of Latino communities in Arizona and advancing progressive issues and campaigns. Demonstrated flexibility, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, cultural competence. Detail-oriented, with good organizational skills and follow-through. Ability to work under own initiative, as well as part of a team. Creative and innovative thinker that considers themselves a problem-solver and resourceful during challenging or new situations.
- Cultural Competence: Must share a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities’ of color engagement in the environmental movement. Familiarity with Arizona and in-state community preferred.
- Conditions: Ability to travel, potentially up to 10% of time, and to work some evenings and weekends. Position requires a valid Arizona driver’s license and access to reliable transportation. This position is based in Phoenix, Arizona.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Chispa Arizona Development” in the subject line by April 8, 2020. No calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.